Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Therapy lets paralyzed rats walk again; Old News is still Good News


Here is a really cool nature article from back in September, while I was on break from this blog.

Transformation of nonfunctional spinal circuits into functional states after the loss of brain input

And the synopsis from Science Daily.

These rats hat their spines cut to prevent any movement of signals from their brain. Then their walking movement was restored using a combination of electrode stimulation and drugs.

While we aren't quite there at repairing the damage to the spine, by recreating that movement your muscles can retain/rebuild their memory which will be helpful in physical therapy.

As a child, after learning all there was to know about dinosaurs, I moved on to dreaming about making prosthetic limbs. My plans of going into biomedical engineering ended when my parents gave me a book on Genetic Engineering, but I still love to hear about exciting developments for the physically impaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment