Friday, July 17, 2009

Welcome to my little slice of the internet, introductions are in order.

My name is John Leavitt and I live and work in Austin, Tx. I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in May 2007 with a degree in Biochemistry with a specialty in computational work. I worked in the Lloyd Lab for three of my five undergraduate years contributing to this publication and to these Arabidopsis mapping populations being submitted to the Arabidopsis Stock Center as part of the Arabidopsis 2010 Program. Since graduating I joined the Krug lab as a research tech (who also takes care of ordering, budgets and a few other administrative things) and I have been working on exciting work making anti-viral drugs.

I am starting this blog (long after the web 2.0 blog craze has passed) with a few very specific goals in mind.

1) Share cool science discoveries with the world with a minimum of technical jargon. Sure there are some big press releases (Human Genome Project, HPV-Vaccine, etc.) but there is a lot of stuff that doesn't get reported.
2) Explore the literature. I will be writing up some funding applications in the Fall and I want to be on top of what other people have already done so I don't reinvent the wheel.
3) Get my name out there. Feel free to check out my resume.

The plan is for science updates on Monday and current events spread throughout the week. Let me know what you think in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment